Like adults, National Health Insurance and Social Health Insurance is available for children. You can add your children to a parent’s insurance. In general a parent with higher income adds the child to his or her insurance. If it is National Health Insurance then you can process this at your local city or ward office, if Social Health Insurance you can ask your company’s person in charge to add your child as your dependent.
Japanese Insurance pays 70% of the total medical costs and adults have to pay the rest. Children are free of this charge because they can apply for Free Medical Care Certificate for Children provided from the city or ward. It pays the rest of the 30%. With this certificate, your child can receive treatments and medications for free. The certificate is valid until 15 year old but this age limit is different city to city.
Vaccinations and baby checkups are not covered by insurance but your ward or city office gives you coupons to cover these costs.
JHI can assist you in obtaining the certificate if you haven’t received one, and help you find out if you are entitled to the certificate if you are unsure. Contact us for details.